As requested by a blog reader, here’s the recipe for the Chicken Pot Pie that we made for dinner this week.
Chicken Pot Pie
Makes 2 full size steam table pans (12x20x2), 48 servings
For 528 servings, make recipe 11 times (22 pans)
Total amount for 22 pans is in parentheses following the amount to use for 2 pans
5# cooked, shredded Chicken Breasts (Total 55# Pre-cooked) May use 140# uncooked, bone-in chicken breast or 80# boneless breasts and prepare as below)
5 ½ # frozen Mixed Vegetables (60#)
1# Chopped Onion (11#)
Vegetable or olive oil for sautéing
1 #3 Can (51 oz) Cream of Chicken Soup (11 cans)
1 #3 Can (51 oz) Cream of Mushroom Soup (11 cans)
3 Cups Milk (2 gallons, plus 1 cup)
2 tsp Pepper (7 TBSP plus 1 tsp)
1 TBSP Thyme (11 TBSP)
3 TBSP flour (2 cups plus 1 TBSP)
2 ½ Pastry Sheets. May use either pie crust dough or puff pastry dough (27 ½ sheets) 1 full sheet doesn’t cover, so use about ¼ of another sheet to cover the top.
- If using uncooked chicken breasts, season chicken with salt and pepper and bake on foil lined baking sheets at 350* for 20-30 min. Shred or chop cooled chicken.
- Sauté onion until translucent in olive or vegetable oil.
- Stir together soups, milk, flour and spices
- Stir in chicken and onion
- Boil mixed vegetables until heated through and add to the rest of ingredients. (May add vegetables frozen and increase cooking time in the oven)
- Pour into pans lined with Pansavers liners, or spray with non-stick spray, or use disposable pans
- Bake covered at 350° for about 45 min. until hot and bubbly
- Stir and top with pastry sheet
- Bake uncovered at 375* for about 30 min. or until brown and internal temp is 180. Let stand 15 minutes before serving to thicken up the sauce.
- Cut pastry top 4×6 to make it easy to serve.
Fruit pizza was a welcome taste of summer, as temperatures outside dipped into the single digits and the snow began to blow in. Fresh blueberries, strawberries and kiwi were on sale this week at the local grocery store, so we piled it high on the shortbread crust. Here’s the recipe on a previous blog post: Fruit Pizza